Saturday, June 20, 2009

Thing 4

I feel like I'm in a Dr. Seuss book when I title these things. I just viewed a number of the educational blogs and enjoyed them all. I loved the very first one about not giving homework. This has been a hot topic on my campus and I have convinced a couple of my teachers to try it due to several of the reasons Dan mentioned in his blog. I think many teachers are convinced we have to teach students responsibility and homework is the way to do that. But, this is a changing world, as we are experiencing in this class and sometimes you have to change the way you do things. It is interesting to see the thoughts behind what we do and the reason we won't let go!

2 comments:

  1. Yea for you and your campus! I knew I liked you. I wish more teachers would think about the purpose of why we do things. It doesn't mean we have to change what we are doing but we need to be able to state why we do it. "Just because" won't cut it any more!
    So tell me, are you Thing 1, Thing 2 or the Cat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with the "no homework" idea. The valid reasons for assigning homework and few and far between. I'm impressed that you are having these conversations with those you influence as a campus principal.

    ReplyDelete